We’re off to a wonderful 2023 with lots of participation and great art-making! Jan and I want to wish you all a Happy February!
Here’s what’s up this month.
Spring Art Show and Survey
Signing in when you go into the Art Studio
Ways to get involved:
~Earth Day—planning meeting
~Ad Hoc committees
Wall display guidelines
New Member Outreach
February Class Schedule
Art Party with attached flyer-February 16
Wall Display pick-up and drop off
Abstract User Group
Digital User Group
Membership—changes in how to join, and purging the membership list.
Purging unused things from our room…..watch for an upcoming sale of things the club owns, but no one uses.
Kid’s Summer Program
Minutes from the January 25, 2023 General Membership Meeting are attached.
Creative Visions - Reminders
Take-in of entries: Feb 2nd Pinckney Hall. Check your email. Drop off starts at 5:45 PM.
~Reception times: Feb 3rd, 5-7pm
~Food donations: Drop off Feb 3rd, Pinckney Hall Kitchen by 4pm
~Awards Ceremony: Sunday, Feb 5th, 1 pm
And remember to tell your friends that the show hours are Friday and Saturday, February 3rdand 4th, 9 AM – 9 PM, and Sunday, February 5 9 AM – noon.
The decision is in your hands! Voting will close on February 8, 2023.
February 4,11,18 Paint What You Love
February 7 Charcoal Workshop with visiting artist Jennifer Wharton
February 7 G Watercolor Journal
February 9 Watercolor March of the Lowcountry
February 9 G The Art of Quilling
February 12 Painting Trees with Watercolor
February 16 Acrylic Painting: Master Series Georgia O’Keefe
February 16 G Art Party
February 17 Painting Trees with watercolor
February 21 G Portrait Sketching
February 22, 23, 24, 25 Comprehensive Oil Painting
February 23, March 2, 9 Colored Pencil workshop
6. The Art Party features scratch art, led by Nancy Hall! Remember it is mandatory to RSVP. Please see the flyer below.
7. Wall display pick-up and drop off. Pick up for the February wall is planned for Wednesday, February 22. Drop off of art for the March wall should be by 3 PM on Thursday, February 23.
8. Abstract User Group. The next Abstract User Group will paint together on Friday, February 17 from 10AM – noon. Hope to see you there!
9. Digital Art User Group. An organizational meeting of this group will be Wednesday, February 15 from 6:30 – 8 PM. Hope to see you there!
10. Membership—how to join and renew. Changes are on the way. We hope to streamline the joining/renewing process; and in February, we plan to purge our mailing list of anyone who has not renewed their membership, so if you have not, this is the time to do it! Go to our website www.scartclub.com, and renew today. If you have already renewed, don’t worry! We will not sign you up again!
11. Purging unused things in the Art Studio is still in process. Watch your email. We’re still deciding what to do with the things that are no longer used. Maybe we’ll have a sale!
12. Kids' Summer Program. Many of you may not know that we used to have a Kid’s Program for the grandchildren of Sun City residents who were visiting in the summer. We are still investigation the feasibility. If you are interested in working on it. Please contact us.
13. Bird-drawing Class. The Sun City Bird Club is now offering, for the first time in their history, university level birding courses. One of the classes is a three-part study of how to draw birds. The Bird club has partnered with Cornell University Ornithology Lab to offer members access to 28 online courses at a special 30% discounted price for the remainder of 2023. These 28 courses are truly university level courses, designed and taught by university professors. It is necessary to join the Bird Club to get the discount for the courses you choose. Courses can be selected, purchased, and taken online by members. You can view the course catalog at https://academy.allaboutbirds.org . At the home screen scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Bird Academy. Once the Academy screen comes up, click on Course Catalog to view the classes. If you look at the catalogue and think you might want to take the drawing class, join the bird club and they will tell you where to go from there!